Socks, Again

Simple stripes in needles that are larger than my normal (ie. 2.75mm as opposed to 2.25mm).



I'm not certain that I like the result, although, the sock will definitely not be too small. In fact, it may be too large. I was actually aiming for 2.5mm needles but I can't seem to find them anywhere (this is a little misleading since I only looked in one place). Who would have guessed that 0.25mm would make such a big difference? Crazy!

There's a bit of extra fabric behind the ankle area. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. While I'd rather not have extra fabric hanging around anywhere, my other socks were too tight around the ankle. So the extra-ness might help with the "I-need-10-min-to-pull-on-my-socks" problem. Or I might try go down some stitches to make up for the looser gauge.

Hey, I thought socks were supposed to be easy to knit. And after 5 pairs, who would think that I'm still messing with gauge? I still haven't found that "perfect" sock needle size to number of stitches formula. Argh.

In other news, I'm headed off on a 6 month contract job with Samaritan's Purse. I'll be roughing it in Africa while working on a water sanitation project. The next 6 months will consist of building sand filters and educating about community health and hygiene and HIV/AIDS. Blogging may be sporatic. Oh wait. Blogging is already sporatic. Sorry... Not even sure if I'll get much knitting time in. I'll try my best to keep you updated, though. Cross your fingers for me!

Until next March...

No comments: